The vast majority of neck pain is caused by physical structures in the spine such as the muscles, joints and discs. The neck conditions that arise from these structures are:
- cervical intervertebral disc injuries
- cervical sprain injuries
- degenerative joint syndrome of the neck
- facet joint sprain
Neck symptoms caused by physical structures require therapy that will target the muscles, joints and discs. At Susquehanna Spine and Joint Center we offer chiropractic, spinal decompression, integrated disc therapy and spinal rehabilitation to make sure all possible injured areas are addressed.
How the Neck is Injured
At Susquehanna Spine we deal with a variety of neck injuries ranging from a serious automobile accident to just plain sleeping wrong. Each injury is unique and it affects the tissues in the spine differently. The uniqueness of the injuries require a specific treatment plan and therapy to heal properly.
- Auto Injuries-The excessive forces in a auto accident can damage the disc, muscles and ligaments, as well as the joints. At SSJC we use spinal decompression and integrated disc therapy to increase the circulation of the disc to allow for healing. Chiropractic and spinal rehab are also used to align the vertebra and strengthen the supporting structures so the injury heals and does not become chronic.
- Wear and Tear-The average “wear and tear” on the spine can lead to cervical disc degeneration. This degeneration results in chronic pain that may not respond to traditional rehab. The discs are unique to the spine and need a special approach to heal. Susquehanna Spine takes advantage of the discs ability to heal itself when supplied with the proper nutrients. Integrated Disc Therapy and Spinal Decompression increase the circulation to the disc supplying it with oxygen, so it can under go the healing process.
- Repetitive Stress-Sitting at a desk all day is an example of a repetitive stress. The postural muscles of the neck fatigue during the work day and become tight and inflamed. The tension in the muscles then put stress on the spinal vertebra causing neck pain and headaches. Chiropractic helps clear the irritation out of the spine and spinal rehab relieves the tension in the muscles to fix the problem.
How is Neck Pain Diagnosed at Susquehanna Spine?
Dr. Staker will evaluate your cervical spine using a physical exam that includes orthopedic test and ranges of motion. He will also go though your past medical history to further determine what is causing your neck pain. After the exam Dr. Staker will discuss with your diagnosis and how treatments such as chiropractic, spinal decompression, integrated disc therapy, and spinal rehabilitation can effectively treat and heal your injury. If the it is determined x-rays are needed, the doctor will refer you to the imaging center of your choice and your x-rays will be read by a radiologist. SSJC will receive the results the same or next day the x-rays are taken.
At SSJC, Dr. Staker will also rule out a neck pain condition that will require surgery—if he or believes your neck pain would be better treated by surgery, then you’ll be referred to a spine surgeon.
Susquehanna Spine and Joint Center Treatment for Neck Pain
Dr. Blake Staker will use a combination of chiropractic, spinal decompression, integrated disc therapy and spinal rehab, as part of your treatment plan for neck pain.
- Chiropractic- Flexion-distraction technique is a gentle, hands-on spinal manipulation that involves a pumping action on the intervertebral disc instead of direct force. Instrument-assisted manipulation uses a hand-held instrument to allow your chiropractor to apply force without thrusting into the spine. Specific spinal manipulation helps restore joint movement using a gentle thrusting technique.
- Spinal Decompression and Integrated Disc Therapy-Much like a plant needs water and sunlight, your discs need oxygen and nutrition to heal and thrive. Spinal decompression and Integrated Disc Therapy increase the circulation to the disc, increasing the oxygen and nutrients available to it.
- Spinal Rehabilitation-SSJC uses specific exercises and muscle stimulation to treat the muscles of the spine. The goal is to manage the inflammation and strengthen the muscles so the injury heals properly.
Call Susquehanna Spine at 717-681-0198 to schedule a free consultation.